Schools of Learning ï¿½2008
Augusta, Wisconsin ~ circa 1897-1979
Story: The importance of education was realized by the early settlers of Augusta, and despite hardships and labors of the pioneer life, one of their first thoughts was the education of the youth of their community.
History: The first school in Augusta was opened in 1857 and was located on the north side in a little board shanty. In 1859, a new school house was built near the present location of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. As the population grew, in 186 a new school with four departments was built (this was on the location where the community center is now), but was destroyed by fire about 1872. It was rebuilt with a few small buildings added close by. In 1903, the main part of what was the present building was built and was quite modern for its time. A part of this was destroyed by fire in 1921. Remodeling continued from 1921 till 1953 on the inside. In 1953, as the school was too small, a new building was erected for the Agriculture and Industrial Arts departments. 1955 saw a new gym and complete remodeling of the east wing with a kindergarten room added in the West Wing. Sadly, the school closed and was torn down in the late 70's to be replaced by a bigger school on the west edge of town (where the Fairgrounds once stood).
This is available as a 8 x 10 lithograph and 5 x 7 greeting card.