Trip to Town ï¿½2008
Augusta, WI ~ circa 1895
Story: It's Saturday, and the whole family has been waiting to make the trip to town. A little snow won't keep the horse from pulling the sleigh thru the soft drifts. The children will head to the variety store, Dad heads to the harness shop and later the feed mill, Mom needs sewing items and some staples from the food store. This was as good as it got, little money, but the family was together.
History: In 1836, Wisconsin was created as a territory by President Jackson. Eau Claire County was created in 1856. French explorers were first to the region which was inhabited by the Ojibwa Indians (later called Chippewa). The lure of timber drew lumbermen who had to build a bridge across the creek that was so deep. This provided a name for the stream and the settlement, "Bridge Creek". In 1856. one of the earliest settlers was Charles Buckman and his wife. They pitched their tent on the site of what is now the Park House Inn and in 1857 changed the name of the village to Augusta (in honor of the capital of his home state, Maine). Community growth before the Civil War drew more settlers and businesses. The first flour mill and grist mill both started in 1859. The railroad and telegraph were brought to Augusta in 1869. The first newspaper started but ended shortly in 1870. Following the Civil War, newcomers were German and settled at the west edge of Augusta, which became known as "German Town" and was incorporated into the village in 1871. As time went on, most businesses transferred to Lincoln Street (HWY 12), center of today's business (moved up from flood plain by river). In 1885, the city of Augusta was created with four wards and in 1890 the Augusta Times newspaper started.
This is available as 8 x 10 lithographs and 5 x 7 greeting cards.